What quality means to us
Every detail counts when it comes to providing the highest quality care that is safe and error-free. Northwestern Memorial Hospital is recognized as a national leader in quality and patient safety for our commitment to proven, effective practices and our investment in outcomes research.
To us, quality means delivering care that is effective, safe, coordinated, timely and convenient. To find out if we are achieving quality care, we constantly measure our healthcare performance by collecting hundreds of quality measures. We make our quality performance public to let you know how we measure up to national healthcare quality comparisons.
Honors and Awards
Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine are nationally recognized leaders in development, research and implementation of quality and patient safety processes and measures.
To earn national recognition, hospitals and health systems must show ongoing evidence of clinical excellence. Northwestern Medicine meets the challenge and consistently places among the best in the nation for patient satisfaction and quality of care. When you choose Northwestern Medicine for your family’s healthcare needs, you can feel confident knowing that you are receiving quality care. To learn more, please click here.
- U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Hospitals (2017–18): Ranked 13th in the nation by U.S. News & World Reportwith 11 specialties nationally ranked, and 1st in Illinois and in the Chicago Metro Region
- Truven Health Analytics (2017): Northwestern Memorial Hospital named one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals®
- Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality (2017): Leader in LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender) healthcare by the Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index – Sixth consecutive year
- Centers for Disease Control Champion (2016): One of eight hospitals and health systems recognized for implementing innovative ways to prevent venous thromboembolic blood clots
- Consumer Reports C-section Delivery Rates (2016): Ranked highest volume maternity hospital with lowest percentage of C-section rates for first-time mothers/low-risk births
- U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Hospitals (2016–17): Ranked 8th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report with 13 specialties nationally ranked, and 1st in Illinois and in the Chicago Metro Region
- Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality (2016): Leader in LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender) healthcare by the Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index – Fifth consecutive year
- Top 10 Nonprofit for Executive Women (2016): Eighth consecutive year by the National Association for Female Executives
- 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers (2015): Northwestern Memorial Hospital was named on 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers–16th consecutive year on Working Mother magazine’s list
- Magnet® Recognition (2015): Earned Magnet® status, the gold standard for nursing excellence and quality care from the American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Quality Oncology Practice Initiative® Certification (2015): Received a three-year certification for meeting the highest standards of quality for outpatient hematology-oncology practices
- “Top Performer” (2015): The only academic medical center in Chicago named by the Joint Commission for outstanding performance on surgical care, heart attack, pneumonia and heart failure quality measures
- Consumer Choice Award (2015): Ranked as having the best physicians, best nurses, best overall quality and best overall image/reputation as determined by a national survey of more than 290,000 healthcare consumers–17th year
- Alliance for Work-Life Progress (2015): Seal of Distinction for Leadership in Workplace Strategy–third consecutive year
- Becker’s Hospital Review: “150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare”
- Chicago Scholars: “Diversity Talent Pipeline” Award
- Work-Life Seal of Designation: Second consecutive year
- National Association for Female Executives: Sixth consecutive year
- Leader in Patient Safety: Northwestern Memorial Hospital received a hospital safety score of “A” from The Leapfrog Group
- University Health System Consortium (2011): Ranked Northwestern Memorial Hospital 3rd in the University HealthSystem Consortium 2011 Quality and Accountability rankings of academic medical centers.
- Thomas Reuters 100 Top Hospitals (2011): Recognized Northwestern Memorial Hospital as one of the nation’s Top Hospitals for 2011 by Thomson Reuters, an annual study that examines the overall performance of more than 3,000 hospitals nationwide.
- Mayor Daley Landscaping Award (2010): Northwestern Memorial Hospital was awarded first place for commercial landscaping by Mayor Daley's Landscape Program. Mayor Daley extends this honor to corporate institutions who commit to developing and beautifying green space in the community.
- Chicago Cares Award (2010): Northwestern Memorial Hospital received the award for being the largest corporate participant during the Chicago Cares volunteer event.
- Chicago Healthcare Executives Forum (CHEF) (2012): Northwestern Memorial Hospital received an honorable mention for community contributions by Daniel Derman, MD, and Posh Charles.