What quality means to us
Every detail counts when it comes to providing the highest quality care that is safe and error-free. Northwestern Memorial Hospital is recognized as a national leader in quality and patient safety for our commitment to proven, effective practices and our investment in outcomes research.
To us, quality means delivering care that is effective, safe, coordinated, timely and convenient. To find out if we are achieving quality care, we constantly measure our healthcare performance by collecting hundreds of quality measures. We make our quality performance public to let you know how we measure up to national healthcare quality comparisons.
Honors and Awards
Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine are nationally recognized leaders in development, research and implementation of quality and patient safety processes and measures.
- Centers for Disease Control Champion – One of eight hospitals and health systems recognized for implementing innovative ways to prevent venous thromboembolic blood clots
- Top 10 Nonprofits for Executive Women by the National Association for Female Executives – Eighth consecutive year
- Consumer Reports C-section Delivery Rates – Ranked highest volume maternity hospital with lowest percentage of C-section rates for first-time mothers/low-risk births
- 2016 Leader in LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender) by the Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index – Fifth consecutive year
- “America’s Best Hospitals” – Ranked No. 11 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report with 13 specialties nationally ranked, and No. 1 in Illinois and in the Chicago metro area.
- Magnet Recognition – Earned Magnet status, the gold standard for nursing excellence and quality care from the American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Quality Oncology Practice Initiative® Certification – Received a three-year certification for meeting the highest standards of quality for outpatient hematology-oncology practices
- “Top Performer” – The only academic medical center in Chicago named by the Joint Commission for outstanding performance on surgical care, heart attack, pneumonia and heart failure quality measures
- Consumer Choice Award – Ranked as having the best physicians, best nurses, best overall quality and best overall image/reputation as determined by a national survey of more than 290,000 healthcare consumers – 17th year
- 2015 Alliance for Work-Life Progress – Seal of Distinction for Leadership in Workplace Strategy – third consecutive year
- 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers – 16th consecutive year on Working Mother’s magazine’s list
- Hospitals & Health Networks Top 100 Most Wired – For effective use of information technology to achieve clinical and operational excellence
- Leader in Patient Safety – Received a Hospital Safety Score of “A” from The Leapfrog Group
- Becker’s Hospital Review “150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare”
- Chicago Scholars “Diversity Talent Pipeline” Award
- Work-Life Seal of Designation – Second consecutive year
- National Association for Female Executives – Sixth consecutive year